Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

I distinctly remember buying this book at Costco.  At the old house, Costco was less than a mile down the road and I visited often.  The book selection was wonderful and I can thank Costco for many of the books that are waiting patiently on the shelf for me to open them and read a few of their words.  In fact this book has been on the shelf for so long that the pages have started to yellow.  I thought it was time to see what it was all about.

I'm A Stranger Here Myself is a collection of columns that Bill Bryson wrote for a British publication.  He was born and raised in Iowa, moved to England for some reason he never reveals to us and married and had children.  After 20 years abroad he and his family moved back to a small town in New England.  And what he finds in America upon his return is laugh out loud funny.  From the post office to the airport to what is on television, his satirical view pokes fun at them all.  I got the sense that his British wife and children adjusted to their new lives much more rapidly.  I think he's kind of a geek.

We're quirky we Americans even though we may not think so.  This book puts our life of plenty in perspective that's for sure.  I'm A Stranger Here Myself is a light and laughable view of every day occurrences in America.  The book was a little long but other than that I rate it a 3 1/2 out of 5.  It was a wonderful diversion from the literary works I usually long for.

And as for Costco, there isn't one around here.  I miss the treasure hunt but I don't eat as many hot dogs.  In my new neighborhood there are plenty of opportunities for me to shop for books.  Even though I didn't move across the pond, there are new adventures worth poking fun at no matter where life takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...