Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hitching Rides With Buddha by Will Ferguson

Hitching Rides With Buddha is a delightful travelogue through Japan.  While living and working in Japan, the author decided to hitchhike from one end of the country to the other following the cherry blossoms as he traveled.  He made a solemn pledge to only hitchhike except of course, when he needed to take the ferry from one island to the next.  Every now and then however, two gorgeous Japanese girls in short, tight leather skirts driving a red corvette would stop to pick him up when rides were slim.

This book is a hilarious ride across Japan.  It is also wonderful insight into its people and culture.  I love all things Asian which is surely why I was drawn to this title originally.  I have no real recollection of when I came to own this title only that it must have been years ago when I was still freely spending my money on books I would never read.  Tucked inside I found a handout from a class on meditation that I took at least 5 years ago.  Several Buddhist mantras were written on it so obviously I put the list in what I thought was a safe and very appropriate place.  Getting back to yoga and meditation has been on my mind lately.

Anyway Mr. Ferguson was more into drinking good Japanese beer and vodka than yoga, but he did spend time in the many temples, communing with the sea and taking in the beauty of the cherry blossoms.   And he had a helluva lot of fun along the way.

Hitching Rides With Buddha is laugh out loud funny, fresh and culturally enlightening.  I give it a 4 out of 5.  If you have interests in Japan or traveling in general, give this one a try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...