Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wine and Baseball

It's Sunday morning.  A time for lounging around reading the newspaper and sipping coffee while watching the morning news programs.  I love Sunday mornings.

Richard, Ginger and I cuddled up on the loveseat in the den and turned on an HBO news show.  The feature story was about Josh Hamilton, Texas Ranger, a baseball player.  And a very good one.  I am a Tampa Bay Rays fan and with today being the last day of the regular season, chances are my beloved Rays will face the Rangers in the playoffs.

The past few weeks have been really tough for me for some reason in the wine department.  I have been craving a drink.  It's not that anything earth shattering has been happening in my life, no stress, no disasters.  The desire for just one glass of wine to relax has been overwhelming for me.  I've resisted but it sure hasn't been easy.

I took a sip of coffee and settled in to hear about Josh.  He's a troubled soul with a devastating addiction to drugs and alcohol.  It sidelined his marriage and his career.  Even after he found AA it was a long, long road back to the ball field.  He said something in the interview that stuck with me. 'One drink leads to twenty'.

That's the power of the addiction.  Like a Lay's potato chip, you can't eat just one.  Those were exactly the words I needed to hear.

That's also the power of God.  I pray every day for His guidance.  He will always guide us to the right place when we need it the most.  There is no bottle of wine chilling in my refrigerator because I've always known that one would lead to twenty.  I just needed to be reminded.  When my Tampa Bay Rays beat the pants off Josh Hamilton and the Texas Rangers I'll celebrate by eating a lime popsicle.  And I'll say a little prayer for Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...