Wednesday, May 8, 2019

There There by Tommy Orange

There There by Tommy Orange

I have not read a book this powerful in a very long time.  The characters and their stories will grip you and never let go.  All the more reason to add this title to your reading list.

The novel tells the stories of twelve characters, all Native Americans living or with connections to Oakland, California.  They range from young to old, male and female who are all struggling to understand who they are and where they fit in this world.  Many are alcoholics which is a topic that really hits home with me.  One young man overeats to compensate for what he feels he's missing.  Others turn to drug dealing.  And all feel helpless to change.

All of the characters stories converge at the Big Oakland Powwow.  I'm hesitant to tell you any more than that simply because I believe this is a book that needs to be experienced first hand.  Sometimes I had a little difficulty keeping all of the people and their relationships straight in my head but the deeper I got into the story the easier it became.  There There is an impactful look at our society and what it means to be Native American.

There is so much to be learned within these pages.  You will laugh, you will cry, you will feel happiness and anger.  You will feel sadness and compassion.  But what's for certain is you will feel differently about something when you read the last page than you did when you opened the cover at page one.

There There is a powerful book.  Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...