Tuesday, March 5, 2019

My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry

My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry

I have a good friend who loves to read mysteries and thrillers.  I read an eclectic mix of things from classic to contemporary but rarely a mystery.  In an effort to expand our reading horizons, I'm trying to read the titles she suggests and she reads some of what I enjoy.  The only problem is that now I'm hooked.  I found Jane Corry and My Husband's Wife on a list and was intrigued.  I must admit the Brits are pretty good at writing the thrillers so I checked it out of the library.

Lily is newly married to Ed and trying to work her way up as a newly minted lawyer.  When her firm decides she would be great at criminal law, she visits her first client in prison with much trepidation.  She wins the case which sets in motion a brilliant law career.  Lily's winning ways however, are because she has a secret helper.

Carla is only nine and lives with her mother across the hall from Lily and Ed.  Lily offers to babysit so that Carla's mother can work on the weekends.  Ed, a painter, becomes enthralled with her Italian good looks.  Carla, even at her young age, learns that secrets can get her anything she wants. She grows up and comes back to get what she's wanted all these years from Lily and Ed.

My Husband's Wife is not a linear story.  It requires the reader to pay attention to the ups and downs of each character.  There are not many likable characters in this story but if they were, there'd be no story to tell. Not until the blood flows, will you feel much sympathy for any of them. Their lives are meticulously intertwined however and clues are left with precision.  The ending is as you might expect but not as you expected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...