Saturday, May 13, 2017

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I have to admit I knew nothing about zombies.  My friend, Stanley, who is a big fan of The Walking Dead had to clue me in over dinner the other night.  I'm a little slow, but I think I get the idea now.

R is the zombie.  He lives at the abandoned airport with all the other zombies.  He's been lucky enough to make an airplane parked at a departure gate his own home.  Periodically he and all the other zombies need to go out and feed on the living.  They walk down roads overgrown with brush and littered with rusted out cars searching for their prey.  Sounds appealing, doesn't it?

It's on one of these hunts, R and his companions ambush a group of the living.  He's immediately smitten with Julie, and eats her boyfriend, Perry, instead.  By doing so R lives Perry's memories and based on what he sees about Julie, he decides to take her home.  As they spend more time together, the lines blur between the not quite dead and the living. The pair is falling in love which unbeknownst to them may have the power to change the desolate world they are living in.

Warm Bodies is a little gruesome mixed with a lot of charm.  R and Julie are lovable characters even though they are not without faults.  The plague has brought the apocalypse to Earth but the earthly emotion called love can't ever be destroyed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...