Monday, April 18, 2016

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

My reading life follows a predictable pattern. I muddle through a string of so so and decent but unexciting novels and then Boom!  I find something absolutely delightful.  So here I go again and this time I found Ella Minnow Pea. We were meant to find each other.  I had a $5 coupon at the bookstore and forgot to use it for my relaxing cup of coffee.  I searched the aisles for a book, which I didn't really need but I couldn't let $5 go to waste.  I picked up and put down dozens before Ella Minnow Pea finally spoke to me.

The story is set on the fictional island of Nollop off the coast of South Carolina.  The island has been named for Nevin Nollop, the man who wrote the panagram, "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog".  When the statue in his honor in the town square begins losing its letters, the councilmen ban each letter from use within hours of it crashing to the ground.  It's an omen they say from the great Nollop.  The punishment is strict for using a banned letter and the citizens either get creative or are banished to the mainland.

Ella Minnow Pea is wonderful fun!  The story is told through letters written by cousins Ella and Tassie and sometimes their parents missives are sprinkled in.  If you love language and letters, which I do, you will find Ella Minnow Pea a crazy wild ride through words.  It will bring a smile to your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...