Friday, March 8, 2013

Dancing at the Shame Prom:Sharing the Stories that Kept Us Small by Amy Ferris and Holleye Dexter

Dancing at the Shame Prom: Sharing the Stories that Kept Us Small by Amy Ferris and Holleye Dexter

This anthology of stories came recommended by a very dear friend of mine.  She has helped me through many edits of my own stories written for and eventually sold to anthologies.   I happen to love real life stories.

Dancing at the Shame Prom is 27 different essays written by different women with different experiences all with dramatic impact in their lives.  All the stories dealt with shame and the effect of keeping the events hidden from the world.  The effort it took these women to keep such a secret is mind boggling.  The effort it took to reveal their shame to the world, even greater.

I have to admit I found this book very depressing, stories so sad and gut wrenching, I almost gave up on it for good.  And anyone who knows my love of books, knows it takes a lot for me to stop in the middle of a book and put it away forever.  I didn't do that here either and I'm pretty sure I came out the other side better for it.

There are stories of abuse at the hands of men, fathers, relatives, lovers.  Stories of the shame of growing up filthy and poor often occurs when alcohol is at the center of family life. Playmates can never come over for a visit for fear of the secret being uncovered.  The list goes on and on.  And while the stories were painful to read, they are stories we need to know.  The shame can only end when we stand up and help others keep their heads held high.  Let's all help break the cycle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...