Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

I'm not usually one for making New Year's resolutions. I did however, make three for 2013.  Alot of people think that 2013 will be unlucky because of the 13 part.   I'm not superstitious but I made some resolutions just in case.

The first is to stop swearing.  I can swear like a truck driver if anything makes me really mad.  I want this year to be kinder and gentler so I'm nixing the bad language.  Oh!  I broke that resolution already!  I said "@$%#" when we didn't get a newspaper this morning.   I caught myself and I said a little penance.  I did it very early in the new year so I hope I can call the slate clean from this point forward.

Second is to not spend any money on books this year.  I can get a book if it's being given away for no charge, or I can use my points from answering surveys and collecting Coke caps but I can't charge any amount for a book to my credit card or pay cash out of my wallet.  Netgalley is my new best friend, allowing me to read advanced copies of novels for no charge.  Lately I've read some really good works so my plan is not to run out of excellent reading material.  And I can read any book that is currently sitting on my shelf.  Oh, I know what you're thinking.  You've heard that before.  But this year I'm really going to do it.  A year from now every book on my shelf will be read.  

My third resolution is to treat everyone and everything that comes into my life in 2013 as a gift.  Because all that is to be in 2013 is just that, a gift yet to be unwrapped.  A friend posted something on Facebook that I liked.  It said "Welcome Chapter 2013.  Page one of 365". 

The new year is like a new book, a surprise on every page.  Write a good one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...