Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

If you've read enough of my book reviews you'll know.  I don't read vampire stories.  I just don't.  Vampires are not my thing. 

In May I attended the Creative Writing Institute at Florida Institute of Technology and I took a class from Susan Hubbard.  She was positively amazing as a professor and as a person.  I learned so much from her in a very short period of time.  The entire class had fun together.  It was an awesome experience.

I downloaded The Society of S onto my Kindle. The thought that keeps coming to my mind to describe this book is, "It had me at hello!"

Ariella lived a sheltered life, home schooled by a reclusive father.  He has sheltered her for a reason known only to him as an adult vampire. As she begins to develop as a teenager and is given a taste of the outside world, she begins to question her unusual life. Her mother disappeared when she was born and her father finally reveals his story to her.  After the death of her only friend, Kathleen, Ari sets off to search for her mother.   On the road she discovers her taste for blood and struggles to come to terms with the morals she's been taught by her father and her physical desires as a vampire.

I loved this book.  Susan is a wonderful storyteller using beautiful, descriptive prose.  The characters are rich and real.  A good portion of this book is set in Florida and I swear I saw a Green Cross truck make a delivery down the street just the other day.  The lesson learned here is to keep an open mind and read a variety of genres.  You just might find a treasure like The Society of S.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...