Friday, July 15, 2011

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

I happen to be a huge fan of Lisa See.  Her writing is powerful.  I love to read about China and Chinese culture.  Typically I'm not a serial reader, rarely reading more than one book by an author.  There are a couple like John Steinbeck and JK Rowling, (yes, I read all the Harry Potter novels) that I can't get enough of.  Lisa See is also on that list.

Shanghai Girls is the story of sisters, Pearl and May.  When the Japanese invade mainland China, their lives as beautiful girls change forever and in ways they never could have imagined.  They make choices in order to survive.  They struggle to be modern American women yet they can never give up their old fashioned Chinese ways.

Actually my favorite Lisa See novel is Peony in Love.  It is set in a very different time and place.  Shanghai Girls is a twentieth century story of Chinese people desperately trying to assimilate into an America that fears them.  This is a compelling story of sisters, family, love, and prejudice. I couldn't put it down.    I was a little disappointed in the ending.  It didn't give me enough closure even though  I knew there was a sequel called Dreams of Joy waiting for me.  Now that I've finished Shanghai Girls I downloaded Dreams of Joy to my Kindle.  I'm a Lisa See fan after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...