Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cookie and Me by Mary Jane Ryals

A few weeks ago in the mail, we got a magazine called Florida Forum.  I have no idea how we got on the mailing list but I'm not complaining.  It contains articles about award winning Florida authors.  I devoured the magazine and of course wanted to read all of the books.  I've lived in Florida for thirty years and love the wonder, beauty and history of this state. 

Now that I'm addicted to my Kindle, I searched for all the books listed in the Kindle store.  Cookie and Me was the only one I could find with Kindle version.  So I downloaded it.  Cookie and Me is the story of Rayann, a white girl who befriends, Cookie, a black girl in Tallahassee in the 1960's.  The two become best of friends doing all the things adolescent girls do, paint their nails, experiment with make up and talk about boys.  The racially charged south in the sixties dictates how the pair must act even though they choose to ignore it most of the time. 

Cookie and Me is full of rich and lovable characters.  It is also full of characters you can't help but hate.  If you've read some of my book reviews, you'll know that tapping into my emotions is what endears a book to my heart.  I thought the story dragged along in certain parts but overall worth reading.  Well written and emotionally charged.  It's a wonderful depiction of life of the times in the south, in Florida.  I'm rating it 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...