Saturday, November 6, 2010

Super Saturday!

Today was Super Saturday!  What is that you ask?  My local writing group, the Spacecoast Authors of Romance or Star for short, puts on a seminar.  We invite an agent and a speaker.  Lunch is served and we meet new people, learn tricks of the trade and share war stories.

But the best part is the raffle.  I purchased 12 tickets for ten dollars.  The money raised goes to the chapter's motivational fund.  And all you writers out there know how much we need motivating.  That muse is lazy. I paid my money and dropped a ticket into the bucket in front of each prize.  The prizes were gorgeously wrapped baskets and tote bags filled with all kinds of goodies.  Mostly books because it's a writing group after all.

By the end of the day, I was spent, my mind spinning with new ideas.  When it was time for the drawings, I laid out my tickets across the table.

"472040," Sandy called out.  Cheers rang out from someone at the next table.  "472233," she called.  Another person at that same table jumped for joy.

"472126."

I checked my numbers.  "Yeah!" I screamed hopping out of my seat.  I never win anything so I happily accepted my prize.

"472129," she called out.

"Yeah!" I yelled out jumping up to add another oversized basket to my stash.

Having won two prizes and feeling exceptionally lucky, I prepared myself to ask her to draw another number when for the third time they drew one of mine.  That didn't happen thank goodness.

At home I searched through my treasures.  I must have forty new books.  Now four or five are young adult novels which will go to the grandkids for Christmas.   I'll send some to my sisters but I'll still have quite a bit of reading material left.  Do I have to add them to my list? I've read 36 out of my list that now totals 100.  The list grows when I can't behave myself at the bookstore.

I started this project last December believing I'd have read them all and be shopping for my e-reader right about now.  If I add my lucky new books to the list, it'll be three years before I move to digital.  I love the feel of touching, caressing and being surrounded by books.  So maybe that's a good thing,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...