Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Girls of August by Anne Rivers Siddons

The Girls of August by Anne Rivers Siddons

I was looking for something lighter to read and found this on the shelf of the library.  I haven't read anything by Anne Rivers Siddons in quite some time, not since one that contained a litter of Boykin Spaniels within its storyline.  My beloved Ginger was a Boykin Spaniel and Miss Siddons captured their personalities perfectly.  I can't remember the title but I'll never forget those precious dogs.

But I digress. The Girls of August gathered for a week at the beach every summer for fifteen years until tragedy struck taking one of the members away.  No husbands are allowed at this annual event, wives only. When a new, cute and much younger wife replaces Melinda who was killed in a car accident, Baby, struggles to fit in. Yes, that is the new wife's name, Baby. The original members of the group, Maddy, Rachel and Barbara, resent Baby right off the bat and make little effort to welcome her into the fold.

As a reader can expect, all of these women will experience some kind of epiphany during their time at the beach. And they want to dislike Baby and even though Baby acts like a baby, in the end they can't help but reinvent the girls of August. In typical Siddons fashion, her characters are distinct and rich but their actions and anchors are predictable. If you are looking for a story that's light and easy, where you don't have to think too much, The Girls of August will fill the void.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...