Saturday, November 21, 2015

Blended edited by Samantha Waltz

Blended edited by Samantha

Blended is a collection of stories written by writers about that crazy combination of people that makes up a family. Families come in all shapes and sizes and always have. Society used to sweep the untraditional ones under the carpet and still does, even though we are working on becoming more accepting.  As a member of my own personal version of a blended family, I share the joys as well as the struggles that are the fabric of a step family.

Families are assembled and disassembled in a variety of ways.  Each set of circumstances is unique.  This collection of heartfelt stories shines a bright light on what it really means to be a part of a step family.  No one asks to be part of one, the ebbs and flows of life lead some of us there.

I happen to know a little something about step families.  I recently supported my step mother of 50 years through her end of life challenges.  I have a host of nieces and nephews who came into my life through my sister's second marriage.  Even though I have never given birth to a child, my granddaughter called me today.  She's 16 and I'm helping her navigate the world of college admissions.  The combinations that make up a step family are endless.

One thing is for certain, no two families are alike.  The stories in Blended teach us that. Whether you are part of a step family or would just like some insight into the strength of the human spirit, Blended will take you there.  It will make you laugh and cry and face head on every emotion in between.  Life no matter how it is handed to us, is the life we are meant to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...