Friday, December 2, 2011

Love The One You're With

I know I'm a little late for a Thanksgiving post since it's December 2nd and we're already knee deep into the Christmas shopping season, but what I learned last week will be carried with me throughout the coming year. 

Richard and I spent Thanksgiving in California with his brother.  We spent time laughing and reminiscing with friends and family of all ages. On Thanksgiving Day twelve of us crowded around the dining room table, held hands and said grace.  Earlier in the day my sister-in-law instructed us to trace our hands on a piece of paper making our own personal hand turkey.  And don't forget that red fatty thing hanging under its chin!  We colored our turkeys and then wrote on it what we were thankful for.  At dinner the hand turkeys were passed around and each person read a reflection on the day other than their own. We laughed, sometimes we reacted with emotion at the insightful wisdom of the hand turkey. 

Even Ollie, the little white dog who gives a whole new meaning to the term, 'lap dog' had his own paw turkey.  He hopped up on a lap as the festivities began and rested awhile.  A few minutes later he moved on to the next lap. By the time dessert came, he had visited all twelve of us.  He was simply grateful for a warm lap to sit in and a few rubs on his belly. 

I looked around at the company, some I'd never met before, a few I hadn't seen in years. Included were two beautiful little girls who added a sparkle to everything. Gratitude comes in all shapes and sizes and so did ours.  We feasted on turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie, a true celebration of all that is good in our world.  Love abounded that day.  It was a day filled with blessings that will keep me warm and cozy for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...