Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day.  It also marks 24 years of wedded bliss for me and Richard. Amazing!

St. Valentine is a real saint whose feast day is celebrated on February 14th.  But no one really knows too much about him.  He did restore someone's sight but in the end he made some one really mad and was beheaded.

Kind of like love and certainly like marriage.  Falling in love makes our sight all rosy and glowing.  The other person can do no wrong, fulfills our every desire and each time we see that person again, it's like the first time.  And then life gets in the way.  A headache, PMS, losing a job, a fender bender in the car might make you feel like chopping his or her head off.  Now I understand why St. Valentine is the saint of love.

I know that through 24 years we've both experienced all of those emotions and then some.  We've taken the ups with the downs, screamed, yelled, bit our tongues and loved each other throughout the roller coaster ride called marriage.  We no longer need to send flowers or candy or cards.  We simply love that the entire world is decorated in shades of red and pink just for us on our special day.

And even though we don't need to buy each other gifts, Richard likes to sneak one in anyway.  What did he buy me this year?  This morning on my desk I found a 5 inch tall beautifully carved, red marble heart.  It's gorgeous.  It's a bookend. And I often think he doesn't understand my love affair with books.  He does.

I love you, honey!!  Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...